Dental nurse, 42, with dairy allergy died after consuming Pret wrap that was labelled vegan, inquest hears | UK Information

[ad_1]

A dental nurse with a extreme dairy allergy died after consuming a Pret a Manger wrap that was labelled as vegan however included dairy protein, an inquest has heard.

Celia Marsh, 42, collapsed on the street, unable to breathe, after she ate a super-veg rainbow flatbread from the sandwich chain’s retailer in Bathtub, Somerset, on 27 December 2017.

The wrap had contained yogurt which was speculated to be vegan however was later discovered to have traces of dairy protein in it.

An inquest is being held into the loss of life of the mother-of-five, who suffered from a extreme dairy allergy and “religiously prevented” all dairy merchandise following a near-fatal allergic response months earlier.

Mrs Marsh had been on a post-Christmas procuring journey along with her husband Andy and three of her daughters when she went into Pret to purchase one thing to eat.

– Advertisement –

In a press release learn to Avon Coroner’s Courtroom, Mr Marsh stated his spouse had begun to really feel “a bit humorous” after consuming the wrap and so they determined to go away a Hole clothes retailer.

She had stated she was “struggling to breathe” in order that they moved to small facet road, he added.

Picture:
Andy Marsh informed an inquest of the second his spouse Celia collapsed on the street

The courtroom heard that Mrs Marsh, from Melksham in Wiltshire, had initially thought she was “playing around” as a result of the sandwich had been labelled “vegan”.

Mr Marsh stated: “She had her Epipen in her hand and I stated to her that if she thought there was any probability she was having a response that she ought to simply do it and use the pen because it would not matter.

“She then stated to me ‘It’s good to telephone an ambulance’,” he added.

Mr Marsh stated he phoned 999, by which period his spouse had collapsed and was being tended to by an off-duty GP who had provided to assist.

“They took Celia away in an ambulance however I had my youngsters with me so couldn’t go within the ambulance along with her to the hospital,” Mr Marsh stated.

“I used to be actually in shock so it took a short while earlier than I used to be in a position to drive as much as the hospital in my automotive.

“Once we arrived on the hospital we had been taken right into a facet room and we had been informed that Celia had been pronounced dead at 4pm.”

Celia Marsh's husband Andy Marsh (back, centre), and her family arrive for her inquest at Avon and Somerset Coroner's court in Bristol. Ms Marsh, 42, a dental nurse from Melksham, Wiltshire, died on December 27 2017 fter eating a super-veg rainbow flatbread from a Pret a Manger store in Bath, Somerset. Picture date: Tuesday September 6, 2022.
Picture:
Celia Marsh’s husband Andy (again, centre), and her household arrive for her inquest

Brendan Turvey, a civil servant with first help coaching who went to assist Mrs Marsh, stated a crowd had shaped within the busy road round her as she lay on the bottom.

He described the scene as “disturbing” and stated he noticed Mr Marsh making an attempt to consolation his younger daughter.

Quite a few folks had been stated to have taken off their coats to put over Mrs Marsh to maintain her heat.

Nonetheless, Shawn Eyles, one of many paramedics who attended, stated some consumers continued to step over Mrs Marsh as she was being handled.

Mr Marsh and his daughters could possibly be seen weeping throughout the listening to because the statements had been learn out.

Pret was charged with meals security failures within the wake of Mrs Marsh’s loss of life, however the prosecution was later dropped as a result of lack of proof.

Natasha was unaware that the baguette she ate at Pret a Manger contained hidden sesame seeds

The corporate stated it might totally co-operate with the inquest, with its chief government Pano Christou current at Tuesday’s listening to.

events on the inquest embrace Bathtub and North East Somerset Council, Australian-based coconut yogurt firm CoYo, and its UK distributor, Planet Coconut.

Each corporations had been concerned within the provide of the yogurt ingredient within the sandwich to Pret.

Mrs Marsh’s loss of life got here within the wake of that of 15-year-old Natasha Ednan-Laperouse, who died in 2016 after consuming a Pret baguette containing sesame seeds, purchased at Heathrow Airport.

Ms Ednan-Laperouse had a sesame allergy.

The inquest into Mrs Marsh’s loss of life is predicted to final between two and three weeks.

[ad_2]

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.