A nine-year-old girl was left ‘hysterically crying’ from painful burns on her legs after going down a slide in shorts at an indoor play centre.
Delilah Price went down the steep red slide at Playzone in Llansamlet, Swansea, during a family day out.
The schoolgirl was left with a burn across her upper thigh which needed medical treatment, and mother Sarah, 38, claims her daughter couldn’t sit down for days and is now scared of slides.
The family, from Cimla, Neath, South Wales, set off to the play centre last week, and upon entry, the staff didn’t mention the dress-code, which is stated on the website.
Playzone’s website states visitors should ‘keep arms, legs and torso covered – no shorts or short skirts’.
Delilah Price, nine, was left ‘hysterically screaming’ after she went down the red slide which has a vertical ‘death drop’ in shorts
Sarah Price with her daughters Delilah (right), who suffered burns, and Dolcie (left) the mother of two is calling for ‘stricter rules’ from the Swansea play place after her daughter was left unable to sit
Delilah was left with a sore graze on her upper thigh that needed medical treatment, staff at the center applied ice to the wound
Sarah said Delilah, sister Dolcie, eight, and their two cousins all wore shorts and t-shirts to the play centre and Sarah claims ‘staff didn’t say anything during the visit’ last Wednesday.
Delilah’s burn was attended to by staff, who applied an ice pack to the area after they were made aware of injury, but upon her return home Delilah’s wound became ‘weepy’ and Sarah said her daughter could ‘no longer sit down’ and could hardly walk.
The mother of two revealed that the burn was ‘sticking to everything’ and her daughter now has a fear of slides as a result.
The mother is now calling for ‘stricter rules’ for Playzone, and saying others should be made aware of the dangers.
She claims she has offered pictures of the slide burn but staff at the play centre didn’t want to see them.’
At one point it was suggested that the wound had become infected after it began ‘weeping’ but after it was attended to by doctors the large graze began to heal
The graze oozing with pus the next morning , sparking fresh concerns that the burn had become infected
The burn, which spans several inches – left the nine-year-old girl in hysterics after going down the slide and she is now ‘too scared’ to use a slide
Sarah, who runs a domestic cleaning business, said: ‘I’d never heard of a burn off a slide or seen one and we have been using play centres for nine years.
‘The children all had shorts and t-shirts on. Nothing was said on entry about their clothing and they were able to go in and play on whatever.
‘As soon as Delilah came down the slide, she was hysterically crying, and staff gave her an ice pack.
‘By the time she got home, it was really sore, and the next day, it was all weepy. For days afterwards, she could hardly walk and couldn’t sit. Everything was sticking to it. She was in so much pain.’
‘Doctors at the hospital have cleaned it and dressed it multiple times and thought she might need antibiotics but they’re happy now that it is starting to heal.
‘I really think there should be stricter rules like there are at other places requiring correct socks or footwear.
‘I rang Playzone to warn them but they weren’t interested. They said I’d have a phone call back but I’ve not heard anything.
‘I said I’d email the photos of the burn but they said they don’t want to see them. We won’t go back. Delilah is too scared to use a slide now but I’m hoping she will overcome it.
‘It’s been a hard week with her not being able to do much. The first few days she couldn’t even sit, and she wanted to sleep with me, which isn’t like her.
‘I’m upset and angry, and I think things should be in place to stop it happening again.’
Playzone Swansea have been contacted for a comment.